Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Nasher Sculpture Center


I visited the Dallas Museum of Art last week.  A couple of months ago I visited the Nasher Sculpture Center. The Nasher is about one block away from the Dallas Museum of Art. Also, if you want to visit both museums in the same day, you receive a discount off the ticket prices.  My mom’s friend Leanne suggested I visit the Nasher in the springtime because they have a large sculpture garden. Summer in Dallas in a garden is miserable, so visit in the spring, fall or winter. 

I am not an expert in the art of sculptures, but the museum is in the book, 1000 Places to See Before you Die in US and Canada, by Patricia Schultz so I wanted to visit it.  When I arrived at the museum, I could see straight out to the garden. After buying my ticket, which was only $5 for me, since I am student I went straight out to the garden.  The Nasher offers discounts to students, military and others, please check the web site (www.nashersculpturecenter.org).

There are several entrances to the garden. The main entrance is the one I went out of. I started on the right of the rectangular and worked my way around so I did not miss anything. I did not write down the names of the authors, but I took pictures of the pieces that stuck out to me. Below are some of the pictures.



My favorite piece in the garden was this red fork. I imagine Goliah grabbing this bad boy and digging into a huge cow or some other animal that just became his dinner.  Also, I really this group of men who are headless. If someone had been at the museum with me, I would have taken some pictures with this group of gentlemen.

The museum had several galleries inside. I skimmed through a couple of them, but the garden was my main focus. During the spring, this garden is perfect for reading a book and relaxing.  Inside of the Nasher was a really neat sculpture seen below. This was my favorite piece inside.



The Nasher is a really great sculpture museum. I chose to focus on the garden which was beautiful and peaceful despite being in the center of downtown Dallas. I suggest avoiding the garden in the summer when you are at risk of heat stroke or becoming the Nasher’s next piece of artwork. Next time I go, I am going to bring someone along so I can take some pictures with the giant fork and the headless gentlemen.  Next I head to Houston to check out a restaurant that is sure to fill me up without breaking the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment