Sunday, February 17, 2013

NOLA- Pat O'Briens and Cafe du Monde

Well it has been far too long since I last blogged. Last fall, with my new job, double course load- time escaped and I was not able to blog. With the new year here, I decided to start back up again. Last July, yes 8 months ago, I went to New Orleans for a bachelorette party for a dear friend of mine from college. 

The party planner, Casey put us at the Marriott on Canal Street. This hotel was perfect for exploring Bourbon Street and the rest of the French Quarter.  In the book, 1000 Places to See Before you Die, the author talks about two places I visited: Café Du Monte and Pat O'Briens. On the last day of our trip, we went to Café Du Monte for breakfast. This is an icon in the French Quarter and must be visited each time you visit New Orleans.  Usually you have to wait in line for a table and then have a waiter wait on you. I have seen people wait in line for over an hour to be seated. The group of girls I was with, taught me a secret: there is window in the restaurant that you can order beignets and coffee to go. There was no line and we got our beignets immediately. We went and sat in the courtyard just outside the restaurant and enjoyed our beignets without waiting in line or on a waiter to bring them to us. If you see a line, I would suggest doing what we did. 






The other place we visited in the French Quarter was a bar just off of Bourbon Street. Pat O's as Mandell calls it is a classic bar that you just visit when travelling to NOLA. The waiters are right out of the 1920s with bow-ties and great service. We went at night, however their Bloody Marys are some of the best and perfect in the morning. The most famous drink to order here is the hurricane. When we visited, we did not order the drink but I did get some pictures of it. The hurricane is a sweet drink made of rum, which after four days in NOLA and Florida is not something I wanted/ needed to consume.




I LOVE NOLA. It is a laid-back city, where you can relax, have a good time and enjoy great food. It is also a place where you can dress up or dress down and have a great time.  Word to the wise- if you are not found of humidity or did not grow up in Texas, July may not be the best month to visit this fantastic city.

No comments:

Post a Comment